Did you know that coconut oil actually has great benefits for your dog?
First let’s get down to the science. Of course, us dog owners want to make sure that this is not just some bogus claim. So what’s in coconut oil that’s healthy for our furry fellows?
What’s In Coconut Oil That Benefits Dogs Health?
Coconut oil has more than 90% saturated fats plus traces of few unsaturated fats like monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The saturated fats in coconut oil is mostly Medium Chain Triglycerides or MCTs. It’s actually the MCTs that are responsible for most of the healthy benefits of coconut oil to our furry family members.
Lauric acid which makes up most of the MCTs in coconut oil boasts of antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Capric and caprylic acid which also are MCTs have anti-fungal properties.
According to Dr Karen Becker, an Integrative Veterinarian and Naturopathic Doctor, MCTs have been shown to boost brain energy metabolism. They also bring down the amyloid protein buildup which causes brain lesions in older dogs. Because coconut oil is packed with MCTs she recommends giving dogs a dose of 1/4 teaspoon of the oil for every 10 pounds of body weight twice a day.
Coconut Oil Helps Overweight and Obese Dogs Lose Weight
Another great thing about MCTs is that they are efficiently metabolized thus providing dogs a quick source of fuel and energy. If your dog performs tasks, coconut oil can enhance his or her athletic performance. MCTs also help overweight and obese dogs lose weight. How so? The MCTs found in coconut oil balance the thyroid and you probably know that thyroid imbalance can lead to weight gain. Therefore feeding your overweight dog coconut oil can aid in weight loss while at the same time the oil will help sedentary dogs feel more energetic.
Multiple Health Benefits of Coconut Oil to Dogs
Dogs fed coconut oil regularly can reap the following health benefits.
- Coconut oil can help clear up skin conditions like eczema, flea allergies, itchy skin, and contact dermatitis.
- It also brings down allergic reactions and helps make your dog’s skin healthier.
- Your dog’s coat can have a more sleek and glossier appearance.
- It prevents your dog from developing foul odor
- Coconut oil is also helpful in preventing and treating yeast and fungal infection including candida
- It also serves as a good disinfectant for cuts and wounds. Plus it aids in healing of wounds, hot spots, cuts, dry skin and hair, bites, and stings when applied topically.
- Coconut oil is helpful in improving your dog’s digestion and nutrient absorption.
- It’s very helpful for dogs with digestive issues such as inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis.
- If your dog has bad breath, the oil can help reduce or get rid of this problem.
- The oil also helps in getting rid of hairballs and coughing.
Other Health Benefits
- Because of its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, coconut oil can help prevent infection and diseases.
- It also helps regulate and balance insulin therefore aiding in the preventing or controlling diabetes.
- As mentioned earlier, coconut oil promotes normal thyroid function. This is a key in helping dogs lose weight.
- The oil also boosts your dog’s energy.
- Coconut oil is also helpful for dogs suffering from arthritis or ligament problems.
So you might want to add coconut oil in your dog’s diet. Remember the recommended dose of 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight twice a day. Another great thing about coconut oil is that it’s a more sustainable and less toxic source of oils compared to fish.
We’d like to hear from you. So don’t be shy and comment on!
To your dog’s health!
Image Credit: healthydogclub.com